Only two uploads in this week's Grey Literature digest from OA Library.
OA East conducted a desk-based-assessment of the garage on the corner of Huntingdon Road/Histon Road/Victoria Road in Cambridge. For locals, this has been a garage and latterly a car wash for as long as we can remember! We were asked to conduct a DBA before the change of land-use to flats - which are currently being built. The Roman town was located on a hill north of the river Cam, its north and south extent matching that of modern day Castle Hill. This defensive position, commanding an important river crossing, was already a settlement in the Late Iron Age, evidenced by remains on Castle Hill and at New Hall College. The settlement developed in to a small town, Duroliponte, which continued in use throughout the Roman period. In the 4th century it was considered important enough to be fortified with a large ditch, bank and stone wall.
Following the end of Roman administration there is little evidence of Early Anglo-Saxon activity near to the subject site. It is likely that an 8th century burh was established north of the Cam by the Mercian king, Offa, although archaeological evidence is again rare. It is possible that an extra-mural market associated with the burh was located outside of the northern gate, in the vicinity of the development area. There is unlikely to have been any major land-use on the site in the medieval period as it is located beyond the limits of the medieval town. Cartographic evidence shows that in the post-medieval period the site was agricultural in use. Notably, a Toll gate or house was located at the southern end of the development area between c. 1750 and 1852.
The second report itemises a Watching Brief near Sleaford which found part of the metalled surface of the Ermine Street Roman Road, in advance of works by Anglian Water.